DNS Errors

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Jan 13 23:24:39 UTC 2006

> Hello,
>
> I've set up DNS on our Linux Enterprise 4 server. It will resolve names,
> but slowly. When I run Ethereal to capture the DNS UDP packets, I see
> that I receive a lot of
>
> "Standard query response, Format Error"
>
> in the Ethereal capture. This seems to be associated with the AAAA
> lookups . Can I turn off IPV6 in Bind version 9.2.4.

	This is non EDNS aware servers responding to the EDNS queries.
	Named will fall back to plain DNS queries if it gets this response.
	It has absolutly nothing to do with the query type (AAAA).

	Your slowness is most probably due to this bug fixed in BIND 9.2.5
	and BIND 9.3.1.

1773.   [bug]           Fast retry on host / net unreachable. [RT #13153]

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org