Non-Internet "named.ca" file root hint.

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Mon Jan 9 21:59:16 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:57:48AM +0700, Truong Tan Son wrote:
> Following your advice, I do:
> ***[domain.com] -- named.conf:
> zone "domain.com" in {
>     type master;
>     file "domain.com.db";
>  };
> ##File  "hint.domain.com"
> $TTL 3600
> @    SOA    IN    root.domain.com.  adm-dns.domain.com. (
> $serial    $refresh    $retry    $expire    $TTL
> )
>                                                IN    NS    root.domain.com.
> domain.com.                           IN     A      1.1.1.1
> root.domain.com.                    IN     A      1.1.1.1

Root hints files do NOT have SOA records or their own NS records.  They
have two types of records for each root name server.  (I have assigned
semi-arbitrary but long TTLs to them.)

; root.hints file
; 518400 = 6 days life for root NS records
; 3600000 = 1000 hours = 41 2/3 days life for root A records

.			518400	IN  NS	root.domain.com.
root.domain.com.	3600000	IN  A	1.1.1.1

This file must be on every non-root name server.  It must be referenced
as noted earlier in the "named.conf" file of each resolving non-root
name server (but is not needed or wanted on an authoritative-only name
server):

	zone "."	IN  {
		type hint;
		file "root.hints";