/var/cache/bind empty

DenisG denis.g1.no.spam at laposte.net
Sat Jan 7 10:11:42 UTC 2006

Kevin Darcy a écrit :
> DenisG wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>I just installed my first BIND on a Debian Sarge server, it seems to
>>work fine for LAN queries but before becoming my domain's DNS, I'd like
>>to understand some things:
>>
>>I installed with apt-get install, everything is in /etc/bind
>>(named.conf, zone files). I thought /var/cache/bind was here to store
>>the cache, but I noticed it keeps empty. Is it an error in my conf?
>>If it's normal, what is this directory for?
>>And then where does BIND store the cache?
>>

> BIND uses a RAM cache, not a disk cache. As such, I'm not sure what the
> point of /var/cache/bind would be. I'm assuming that the "apt-get
> install" set up that directory, right? Or was it pre-existing? Are there
> any references to /var/cache/bind in the generated named.conf file? I
> suppose it might be useful as a dump-file, statistics-file and/or
> memstatistics-file location. Or maybe the apt-get authors were just
> confused...
>
> - Kevin

Thanks Kevin
I answered yet but my post disapeared...

There's a reference to /var/cache/bind in named.conf.options:
options {
     directory "/var/cache/bind";

Seems to be a location for additionnal conf files, I saw that Red Hat
install uses this directory for zone files. In named.conf I use full
path for zone files, so BIND didn't search here.

Thanks for your help and best wishes for this new year

--
DenisG

Site perso --> http://www.denisg.fr.to
Miam!   -->   http://fermedelangle.com