primary DNS and registrar's ns

Johnathan Long none at i.am.invalid
Sat Jan 7 13:40:41 UTC 2006

In article <dpmp3g$23lj$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 DenisG <denis.g1.no.spam at laposte.net> wrote:

> I'm still trying to understand everything about BIND.
>
> If I install a BIND server on my LAN, configured as a primary DNS for
> the domain name I own (to resolve comp1.mydomain.com,
> comp2.mydomain.com...), but don't tell my registrar to modify his DNS
> entries about mydomain.com (still resolved for the rest of the world by
> my registrar's ns1 and ns2), will it be a problem somewhere?
> Do I HAVE to replace my registrar's ns if I configure BIND as a primary DNS?

Only if you want other systems on the internet to query your server for
the domain. If you are just setting this up to experiment with BIND and
have a local resolver which answers for your domain, you don't need to
change the delegation with the registrar.

Configuring your local BIND server to be authoritative for this zone
will have no affect on DNS resolution for anybody other than you. So, if
I understand your question "will it be a problem somewhere" correctly,
the answer is "no".

--
J. Long