How do I put two servers onto the same sub domain?

Dmitry E Gouriev gouriev at icenet.ru
Fri Jan 6 18:33:13 UTC 2006

Hello,

----- Original Message -----
From: "damien" <xamott at gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dns.bind
To: <comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org>
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 7:57 PM
Subject: How do I put two servers onto the same sub domain?

> I have a unix server and a windows 2k3 server, both on the same domain,
> but different subs, like this:
>
> unix.example.com
> iis.example.com
>
> Both servers are providing javascript to my one web application. To get
> around "no the cross-domain Javascript allowed" rule, I need to be able
> to access both web servers like this:
>
> joy.example.com
>
> So, maybe like this:
>
> joy.example.com/unix     points to >     unix.example.com
> joy.example.com/iis        points to >     iis.example.com
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

The problem is not connected with DNS or BIND in any way.

Having Apache on one of the servers, you can configure
a "reverse proxy server" wich will expose a site on one server
as a part of a site on another server. See Apache docs.

This suggestion will work if and only if you have access to server
configuration. Otherwise there is no good ideas.

Regards...