manual editing of dynamic zones files

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Wed Jan 4 05:02:36 UTC 2006

On 03 Jan 2006, at 16:19 PST, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> It might be a better approach to do *all* of your updates via Dynamic
> Update from now on, including the "manual" ones. Use "nsupdate" or
> some
> other command-line tool. One of the advantages of this, versus editing
> the zone files, is that you don't actually need to be on the master
> server to make an update. If you want to exploit this "remote"
> capability, though, you'll probably want to set up TSIG-authentication
> for the Dynamic Updates, unless you have sufficient security at the
> lower network levels (e.g. IPSEC or something like that).

Nsupdate must be one of the most arcane applications in existence.
Are there any plans afoot to create a more "user friendly"
interface?  Perhaps a "standard" web interface that can automatically
determine which DNS zone files are dynamic and static and perform the
appropriate actions.

I get the feeling, in my own organisation, that I'm the only one who
knows how to use nsupdate. :(

Merton Campbell Crockett