Filtering RR on slave server.

Nicolas nicolas at no-spam.net
Tue Feb 28 07:28:17 UTC 2006

Kevin Darcy wrote:
> If it's not serving the same data as the master, it's not a replica, now
> is it?

Yes, this sound right, but...

> Define it as master if you want to serve *different* data than the
> real/other master is serving.

.... I don't have control on the master server, and no one will told me
when some changes occure in the master.

Currently, the master hold several A records for any given host (mostly
RFC1918 address). Only a subset of those address are reachable from our
private network, so I need to hide the unreachable one.

I currently use sortlist to have the reachable A records returned first,
but sometimes, for no good reason, the clients do not use them in that
order.

So, what I exactly need is a way to receive the whole zone from the
master, then remove the A records that give unreachable IP address, then
build a zone (possibly a master one) form this subset.

As I told previsouly, I can do that with an external program that use
one zone file to build the other, but I'm looking for a cleaner way to
to it.

Of course, if it is the cleanest way, I will use it.

	Nicolas.