More than I can bite off...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Feb 28 00:32:30 UTC 2006

DarrellE wrote:

>>My domain/name server:    dns1.my-home-domain.com
>>
>>The soccer domain   http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bench/5991/
>>
>>Question - what do I need to add to my name server, so that www.hysl.org
>>points to the soccer domain? My friend has control with the registrar to
>>change the name server to point to me...but I'm now unclear if I can do
>>just DNS...  Suggestions ?  What do I need to do, what does my friend need
>>to do ?
>>

>Since your friend has control of the registrar, can't he just point
>www.hysl.org ------> http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bench/5991/   ?
> That would bypass the messes setup your in for.

The only parts of those URLs that DNS controls are the domain names,
i.e. www.hysl.org and www.geocities.com. In DNS, you could set up
www.hysl.org as an alias for www.geocities.com. Everything else would be
a matter of webserver configuration, including the part of the webserver
config that enables the www.geocities.com webserver to recognize
www.hysl.org as a name for itself, and differentiate the requests for
that domain enough, at least, to give it a customized home page.

   - Kevin