recursive PTR query behavior

Nobumichi Ozoe Nobumichi.Ozoe at jp.yokogawa.com
Thu Feb 23 12:38:11 UTC 2006

Hi,

Now I am testing the recursive PTR query of BIND 9.3.1.

The DNS Client1 request for PTR RRs for 10.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA to DNS Server1.

 % dig @192.168.0.10 10.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA. -t PTR

DNS Server1 receved standard query from DNS Client1, and transmits recursive query.
It's sequence flow are described as following.

When DNS Server1 received No. 5 packet, I expect that DNS Server1 sends
QNAME=10.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA, QTYPE=PTR query to DNS Server4 (No. 6 sequence).
However DNS Server1 sends QNAME=NS4.example.org, QTYPE=A query to DNS Server2.

Q. Why DNS Server1 doesn't send QNAME=10.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA, QTYPE=PTR query to
   DNS Server4 as authority of 168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA?

Topology
---------

        IN-ADDR.ARPA domain      192.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain  168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain
        DNS Server2              DNS Server3              DNS Server4
          |A.ROOT.NET              |NS3.example.net         |NS4.example.org
          |192.168.1.20            |192.168.1.30            |192.168.1.40
          |                        |                        |
Net-y   --+--------+---------------+------------+-----------+------- 192.168.1/24
                   |                            |
                   |                            |1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain
                 Router (TN)                  DNS Server5
                   |                             NS5.example.org
                   |192.168.0.1                  192.168.1.50

Net-z   --+--------+-----------------+--------  192.168.0/24
          |                          |
          |                          |
        DNS Server1 (NUT)          DNS Client1 (TN)
           NS1.example.com
           192.168.0.10               192.168.0.20

Configuration
--------------

named configuration is:

options {
        directory       "/etc/namedb";
        pid-file        "/var/run/named/pid";
        dump-file       "/var/dump/named_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/stats/named.stats";
        listen-on       { any;};
        listen-on-v6    { any;};
        notify no;
        recursion yes;
        request-ixfr no;
        provide-ixfr no;
};
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.root";
};
zone "example.com" {
    type master;
    allow-query     {any;};
    allow-transfer     {any;};
    file "master/example.com";
};

Zone files
----------

DNS Server1 is a name server for the example.com.
The zone data for the example.com domain is:

$TTL    86400           ; TTL of 1 day
@ IN SOA NS1.example.com. root.example.com. (
	2005081600	; serial
	3600		; refresh every 1 hr
	900		; retry every 15 min
	604800		; expire after a week
	3600		; Minimum TTL of a 1 hr
)
;
	IN	NS	NS1.example.com.
NS1	IN	A	192.168.0.10

DNS Server2 is a name server for the root. Root server list on DNS Server1 is:

.			3600000		IN	NS	A.ROOT.NET.
A.ROOT.NET.		3600000			A	192.168.1.20

Sequence flow.
--------------
 * TN: Tester node
 * NUT: Node under test
                                                                  <--------------- TN ---------------------------->
 DNS Client1 (TN)             DNS Server1 (NUT)                   DNS Server2  DNS Server3  DNS Server4 DNS Server5
    |                              |                                 |           |           |           |
    |----------------------------->|                                 |           |           |           |
    | 1. Send standard query       |                                 |           |           |           |
    |  QNAME                       |                                 |           |           |           |
    |   =10.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA |                                 |           |           |           |
    |  QTYPE=PTR                   |                                 |           |           |           |
    |                              |-------------------------------->|           |           |           |
    |                              | 2. Recv standard query          |           |           |           |
    |                              |  QNAME                          |           |           |           |
    |                              |   =10.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA    |           |           |           |
    |                              |  QTYPE=PTR                      |           |           |           |
    |                              |                                 |           |           |           |
    |                              |<--------------------------------|           |           |           |
    |                              | 3. Send standard query response |           |           |           |
    |                              |  QNAME                          |           |           |           |
    |                              |   =10.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA    |           |           |           |
    |                              |  QTYPE=PTR                      |           |           |           |
    |                              |  AUTHORITY Name                 |           |           |           |
    |                              |            =192.IN-ADDR.ARPA    |           |           |           |
    |                              |  AUTHORITY NSDNAME              |           |           |           |
    |                              |            =NS3.example.net     |           |           |           |
    |                              |  ADDITIONAL Name                |           |           |           |
    |                              |            =NS3.example.net     |           |           |           |
    |                              |  ADDITIONAL Address             |           |           |           |
    |                              |            =192.168.1.30        |           |           |           |
    |                              |                                 |           |           |           |
    |                              |                                 v           |           |           |
    |                              |                                             |           |           |
    |                              |-------------------------------------------->|           |           |
    |                              |             4. Recv standard query          |           |           |
    |                              |              QNAME                          |           |           |
    |                              |               =10.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA    |           |           |
    |                              |              QTYPE=PTR                      |           |           |
    |                              |                                             |           |           |
    |                              |<--------------------------------------------|           |           |
    |                              |             5. Send standard query response |           |           |
    |                              |              QNAME                          |           |           |
    |                              |               =10.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA    |           |           |
    |                              |              QTYPE=PTR                      |           |           |
    |                              |              AUTHORITY Name                 |           |           |
    |                              |                     = 168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA  |           |           |
    |                              |              AUTHORITY NSDNAME              |           |           |
    |                              |                     = NS4.example.org       |           |           |
    |                              |              ADDITIONAL Name                |           |           |
    |                              |                     = NS4.example.org       |           |           |
    |                              |              ADDITIONAL Address             |           |           |
    |                              |                     = 192.168.1.40          |           |           |
    |                              |                                             |           |           |
    |                              |                                             v           |           |
    |                              |                                                         |           |
    |                              |-------------------------------------------------------->|           |
    |                              |                          6. Send standard query         |           |
    |                              |                           QNAME                         |           |
    |                              |                            =10.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA   |           |
    |                              |                           QTYPE=PTR                     |           |
    |                              |                                                         |           |
    |                              |<--------------------------------------------------------|           |
    |                              |                          7. Send standard query response|           |
    |                              |                           QNAME                         |           |
    |                              |                            =10.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA   |           |
    |                              |                           QTYPE=PTR                     |           |
    |                              |                           AUTHORITY Name                |           |
    |                              |                               = 1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA  |           |
    |                              |                           AUTHORITY NSDNAME             |           |
    |                              |                               = NS5.example.org         |           |
    |                              |                           ADDITIONAL Name               |           |
    |                              |                               = NS5.example.org         |           |
    |                              |                           ADDITIONAL Address            |           |
    |                              |                               = 192.168.1.50            |           |
    |                              |                                                         |           |
    |                              |                                                         v           |
    |                              |                                                                     |
    |                              |-------------------------------------------------------------------->|
    |                              |                                     8. Send standard query          |
    |                              |                                      QNAME                          |
    |                              |                                       =10.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA    |
    |                              |                                      QTYPE=PTR                      |
    |                              |                                                                     |
    |                              |<--------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |                              |                                     9. Send standard query response |
    |                              |                                      QNAME                          |
    |                              |                                       =10.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA    |
    |                              |                                      QTYPE=PTR                      |
    |                              |                                      ANSWER NAME                    |
    |                              |                                       = 10.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA   |
    |                              |                                      ANSWER PTRDNAME                |
    |                              |                                          = A.example.org            |
    |                              |                                      AUTHORITY Name                 |
    |                              |                                          = 1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA   |
    |                              |                                      AUTHORITY NSDNAME              |
    |                              |                                          = NS5.example.org          |
    |                              |                                      ADDITIONAL Name                |
    |                              |                                          = NS5.example.org          |
    |                              |                                      ADDITIONAL Address             |
    |                              |                                          = 192.168.1.50             |
    |<-----------------------------|                                                                     v
    | 10. Recv Standard query      |
    |                     response |
    |  QNAME                       |