Lock specific records in dynamic zone...

Daniel Costello danielc at clinedavis.com
Fri Feb 24 15:20:59 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I have a fairly strange question.  In our DNS, we have our primary zone
which up until now has been updated only by our DHCP server via TSIG
key,etc.  We are looking at opening this up so that PC clients can update
their own DNS.  Our only concern is that servers have their dns records in
this same zone file and we don't want to chance they get overwritten, etc.

My question:

Is there a way to flag single records within a dynamically updated dns zone
file making them not changeable in some way?  I know this kind of defeats
the purpose of dynamic updates in the first place.

I would assume the only alternative would be to create a separate zone file
for each server, which would be fairly time consuming.

I'm open to any suggestions.  Thanks!

Regards,
Daniel Costello