slaves still serve old data after successfull zone transfer (with views)

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Feb 22 18:13:16 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've browsed through some documentation about views, consulted the
book, but still need one clarification.  Is it OK to share same zone
file between multiple views?

For example, this is what I attempted to configure.  Let say I have
zone foobar.com that should be the same for all views.  Then I define
views name-servers, foo and bar, define zone foobar.com in all of them
and point to the same file on disk (on both master and slaves).  BIND
(9.2.x) doesn't complain about this and things seem to work file until
foobar.com zone is updated.  To prevent duplicate notifications and
zone transfers, notify is enabled only in name-servers view.

When zone is updated, slaves will correctly transfer it.  However, they
will serve updated zone data only when queried from IP addresses that
match name-servers view (which is first defined view).  If queried from
IP addresses that end up using foo and bar views, slaves return old
data.  Inspection of downloaded zone file on slave shows updated data.

Master returns new updated data in all views.

The only way to get slaves to start serving updated data in all views
was to restart them (since than they will load data from disk).