Forward external queries

Kris binduser at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 12:26:18 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm looking for the simplest way to forward all external (public)
queries to an external DNS server. What I did in named.conf is this
(see below), but the problem is that when I'm trying to resolve a
public name like google.com it doesn't work when querying my server.
If I define a specific forward zone for "org" or "com", and specify
that external DNS server as the master for that zone, it works fine
(that's what I did as a [stupid] workaround for the common tld names).
What do I have to configure in order to make it work without adding a
zone statement for every top level domain name ?

named.conf

(...)
view "internalview1" {
        match-clients {any;};
        notify yes;
        allow-query { internal-networks; 127.0.0.1;};
        forwarders {
                10.1.1.1;
                10.1.1.2;
        };
        recursion yes;

zone "myzone.example.com" in {
        type master;
        file "myzone.example.com.hosts";
        allow-transfer { 192.168.1.2; };
};

zone "." IN {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};

zone "localdomain" IN {
        TYPE master;
        file "localdomain.zone";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "named.local";
};

zone "255.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "named.broadcast";
};

zone "0.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "named.zero";
};

zone "168.192.in-addr.arpa" in {
        type master;
        file "192.168.rev";
        allow-transfer { 192.168.1.2; };
};

};

Also, are these zone really necessary (".", "localdomain",
"0.in-addr.arpa", ...) ?

Thank you for any help,

Kris.