Recursive load

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Fri Feb 17 01:33:18 UTC 2006

At 05:39 PM 2/16/2006, you wrote:
>We have been seeing some potential load problems -- mainly complaints of
>slow responses -- on our recursive servers, and I an trying to figure out
>if we need to replace hardware or add more servers. Our current servers
>are receiving about 40 quarries a second -- they are both older P3
>machines running xBSD. Does anyone have an idea of what an average
>recursive load is in a small ISP environment?

recursive clients: 58/1000
recursive clients: 68/1000
recursive clients: 73/1000

Those are our three recursive servers as of now. They get into a
couple hundred simultaneous recursive clients. I'm not sure what you
mean by small ISP environment. 40 qps isn't much at all, even for a
P3. That second server listed (the slowest of the bunch) is a dual
processor PIII 667MHz CPU. If I stress it, I can easily get over 2000
qps out of it with the CPU pegged by named.

Are you maybe paging to swap on your servers? What's your processor
load look like?

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain