rcode servfail/adns

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Thu Feb 16 22:27:26 UTC 2006

First, I must confess...  I cheated.

> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 23:15:22 +0100
> To: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org>
> From: flatline <flatline at greyhat.nl>
> Subject: Re: rcode servfail/adns
> Cc: bind-users at isc.org
>
> At 23:08 16-2-2006, Mark Andrews wrote:

[...]
> >         Well as you can see 28.84.IN-ADDR.ARPA is delegated to
> >         NS.RIPE.NET however it isn't serving it.  The other
> >         nameservers for 28.84.IN-ADDR.ARPA are serving it.
> >
> >         Either NS.RIPE.NET needs to be fixed, the zone contents
> >         needs to be fixed or the delegation needs to be fixed.
> >
> >         I suggest you contact the administators of 28.84.IN-ADDR.ARPA
> >         and get them to address the problem.
> >
> >         Mark
>
> Are you seriously suggesting to contact RIPE, to
> tell them around 4000 of their IPs don't resolve,
> just on my host, but they work fine on another? I
> think this is not a problem at RIPE, but rather
> at my site, which is why I'm requesting help
> here. I'm not sure if you fully understand the
> problem, but I'm still looking for a solution to my situation.

Yes, Mark is quite seriously suggesting this - IF you want the
ns.ripe.net delegation to get fixed.

well% nslookup
Default Server:  ns9.salon.com
Address:  206.80.4.126

> server ns.ripe.net
Default Server:  ns.ripe.net
Address:  193.0.0.193

> set type=PTR
> 84.28.47.253
Server:  ns.ripe.net
Address:  193.0.0.193

*** ns.ripe.net can't find 253.47.28.84.in-addr.arpa.: Server failed

(I should have used dig, but as I said above, I cheated.)

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin