rcode servfail/adns

flatline flatline at greyhat.nl
Thu Feb 16 22:15:22 UTC 2006

At 23:08 16-2-2006, Mark Andrews wrote:

> all, since I'm completely stuck!

> > >         The only hard piece of evidence and you go and obscure the
> > >         details.
> > >
> > >         Mark
> > >--
> > >Mark Andrews, ISC
> > >1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
> > >PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org
> >
> > Oh, you wanted me to say that 90% of the IPs I'm
> > trying to resolve actually are resolvable on
> > other hosts, but I get this error on my box? I
> > "obscured" that IP (I didn't obscure anything, I
> > just used x.x.x.x as a "wildcard" for all the
> > queries that are failing), because I fail to see
> > the relevance of quoting a single IP out of
> > thousands that is resolvable on your host, but
> > fails to resolve on mine.  These IPs are from all
> > over the world, on practically every ISP
> > imaginable. Now for all of you who think I'm
> > wrong in assuming this, here is one of the IPs in
> > question: 84.28.47.253. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Roël
>
>         Well as you can see 28.84.IN-ADDR.ARPA is delegated to
>         NS.RIPE.NET however it isn't serving it.  The other
>         nameservers for 28.84.IN-ADDR.ARPA are serving it.
>
>         Either NS.RIPE.NET needs to be fixed, the zone contents
>         needs to be fixed or the delegation needs to be fixed.
>
>         I suggest you contact the administators of 28.84.IN-ADDR.ARPA
>         and get them to address the problem.
>
>         Mark

Are you seriously suggesting to contact RIPE, to
tell them around 4000 of their IPs don't resolve,
just on my host, but they work fine on another? I
think this is not a problem at RIPE, but rather
at my site, which is why I'm requesting help
here. I'm not sure if you fully understand the
problem, but I'm still looking for a solution to my situation.