rcode servfail/adns

flatline flatline at greyhat.nl
Thu Feb 16 17:44:06 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm using adns and BIND to do mass reverse lookups for me, but I seem
to have run into a problem which I couldn't fix for the past few
days. For some reason, my PTR lookups (adns type adns_r_ptr_raw) are
getting nothing but "unexpected RCODE (SERVFAIL) resolving
'x.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa/PTR/IN': 193.0.0.193#53" results. AFAIK my BIND
configuration ( http://greyhat.nl/named.conf ) is fine, but seeing
all these remote errors coming from ns.ripe.net make me wonder about
the sanity of my setup. I realise that this is a rather vague problem
description, but I haven't come across any obvious hints yet. If you
need more information, I'll be more than happy to provide that. Right
now I'm just looking for any insights at all, since I'm completely stuck!

Kind regards,
Ro