nameserver and databases (e.g. mysql)

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Wed Feb 15 21:26:25 UTC 2006

Hi,

since everything is working in realtime nowadays I'm asking myself how I
can update two or three nameservers at the same time.
AXFR zone transfers are a bad idea, because you never know when the
other nameserver will have a certain zone synchronized. Also, for a new
zone to be synchronized, the second and third nameserver need a new zone
entry in the named.conf and they need to be reloaded with rndc.
Also, treating all nameservers as primary, thus creating zones and do
the reload on each server is not reliable for a realtime interface,
because one nameserver might be down and the zone creation couldn't be
done. Or maybe several creations at the same time would interfere and
create a broken named.conf (since always the whole file has to be
re-generated).
My goal is to provide an interface to my customers where they can send
the zone-data and immediately receive a response and can be sure, that
the zone is created or updated on all three nameservers within seconds.
I think the only way to achieve this is having a nameserver that uses a
database instead of zonefiles and serves all requests directly from it.
Thus the replication mechanisms of the database can keep track of
updates being processed on all nameservers (e.g. one instance of mysql
on each nameserver using mysql-replication).

How could I do this with BIND? Actually, I just need an authoritative
only nameserver, many of the features that BIND offers wouldn't be used
in my purpose. I heard of the following three projects:

MyDNS (http://mydns.bboy.net/)
PowerDNS (http://www.powerdns.com/)
Mysql-sdb (http://freshmeat.net/projects/bind-mysql/)

I'm not sure which of the projects is the most sophisticated one and
provides a similar reliability to BIND with zone files. Have you heard
of them and can send comments? Do you know other stable projects? Do you
have other solutions for my problem?

Regards
Marten