Urgent help - reverse lookup failures

Netfortius netfortius at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 03:59:36 UTC 2006

On Friday 10 February 2006 19:07, you wrote:
> In article <dsjcn6$1meg$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>
>  Netfortius <netfortius at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> > So - where is this information saved (i.e. which system to query for a
> > reverse
> > lookup for a specific domain), and how could I fix the above described
> > failure?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Stef
>
> It would have been infinitely easier for us to help you if you had given
> the REAL x.y.z.W instead of hiding it.  The people who need to do
> reverse lookups already know you've messed up, is it really much more
> embarassing to divulge who you are here?
>
> Anyway, the delegation is most likely in the y.x.in-addr.arpa zone,
> which is probably hosted by your ISP.  And if the lookups are completely
> failing, despite the fact that there's no name server running on
> www.domain.com, it suggests that you also don't have a slave server for
> your reverse zone.

Thank you for your answer - it is not I who screwed it up, though, thus
keeping (with your kind understanding) things private. The "screw-up" was on
the side of the owners of the pool of IPs having been reserved to us, who
have mistakenly linked the x.y.z.0/24 to the www host, instead of the ns, in
the first place (way back in the day, prior to me working on these systems,
and unbeknownst to anyone until today's change).

Having said the above, I have to take responsibility for not having checked
this, of course, prior to the change, instead of just relying on the
obviousness of linking IP-in-addr-arpa to an "ns" host (which may have meant
"Name Server) ... as for the other observation of yours - the reverse
secondary is hosted by the same ISP, which hosts my slave for the domain.com,
so the things were somehow related :(

Thanks again,
Stef