Maximum number of updates in a single transaction

Gustavo Lozano glozano at nic.mx
Fri Feb 10 16:30:25 UTC 2006

Hi,

We are implementing a new service that requires a substantial number
of dynamic updates to be performed on a zone. We are talking of 2K
updates in a single dynamic update transaction.

We made some tests with Bind 9.3.2 by sending 60 domain updates in a
single transaction (TCP) and everything works correctly.

RFC2136 specify a 16 bit limit to UPCOUNT section in the header, so I
assume that the limit of updates that I can send on a single
transaction is 2^16.

What is your recommendation of the maximum number of updates in a
single transaction?

I believe that ISC makes validation tests with each BIND release. How
many dynamic updates are sent in the ISC's validation tests?

Thank you.

Gustavo Lozano
NIC Mexico (ccTLD .mx)