MX for mailhub and reverse pointer file

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Feb 10 03:51:08 UTC 2006

Harry Putnam wrote:

>Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> writes:
>

>>>;;;Do I need something here like:
>>>;;;                     IN      MX      reader.local.net0
>>>

>>Do you expect folks to be sending mail to user at 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa?
>>

>Harry wrote:
>

>>;;;Do I need something here like:
>>;;;                     IN      MX      reader.local.net0
>>

>Sorry, I'm too dense to get the cryptic answer... does it mean no,
>nothing goes in there or does it mean something goes in there but not
>in that format?

Nothing goes in there, presumably. You only need MXes for the domain
names to be actually used as mail destinations. This zone is in the
in-addr.arpa tree. Although possible, it seems unlikely that anyone
would want a mail destination in that part of the namespace.

Add to that the fact that 192.168/16 is a *non-unique*, private address
space, so no-one outside of your organization should even been seeing
your version of it, it seems doubly unlikely that you'd want a mail
destination of @0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. Although I suppose anything is
possible with an internal-only root-zone and mail setup...

>And the log ...
>
> Feb 9 19:27:53 reader kernel: process `named' is using obsolete
>  setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT
>
>Do I need to worry about that?

I skipped over that part because I've never gotten that error on any of
my systems. I think it's just informational.

- Kevin