Do I really need an MX record? (for e-mail to work)

John Coutts administrator at spam.yellowhead.com
Thu Feb 9 16:50:57 UTC 2006

In article <dsdfd8$137e$1 at sf1.isc.org>, csmith at dyndns.org says...

>Can you provide an example of a domain which blocks mail simply because
>the PTR record does not match the name of the mail server? (Setting one
>up yourself to provide as an example doesn't count) And how exactly do
>these domains determine the A record? Do they base this on name provided
>in the HELO command?
>--
>Christian Smith
>Dynamic Network Services, Inc.

*************** REPLY SEPARATER ****************
Yes here is a prime example, which was a fairly important piece of business
mail. In this case, the IP does have a reverse lookup, but the resulting name
does not report the same "A" record. I have complained to POBox. but to no
avail. At first they denied that they check the "A" record against the
"PTR", but when I pressed them, they added the "or PTR and A records do not
match" to the message. Big deal!

Here is another one which is an order confirmation from Toysrus. In this case,
there is simply no PTR record. I have informed Toysrus of the problem, and they
politely thanked me and said they would take care of it. Months later, IBM (the
network operator) has still not corrected the problem.