question regarding "glue domains"

John MacKenzie john at yourcompsolution.com
Sat Feb 4 03:35:25 UTC 2006

The Faq referred to in the error for 1and1 reads :

What is a Glue Domain?

If your Name Server is in the same zone as your domain it is called a
Glue Domain.
A glue record is an A Record that specifies the address of the server.

For example, if the NameServer(DNS) for domain-of-your-choice.com was
ns.domain-of-your-choice.com then the NS record would look like this,
but you will
also need to have the following A record.

domain-of-your-choice.com  IN    NS     ns.domain-of-your-choice.com
ns.domain-of-your-choice.com    IN    A      217.160.226.82

To do this, please create a subdomain "ns.domain-of-your-choice.com" and
assign an
IP Address to it. Once the IP Address has propogated you can assign
"ns.domain-of-your-choice.com" as the DNS for your domain
"domain-of-your-choice.com".

Barry Margolin, in reply to my original post,  refers to the PARENT
zone. Is this parent zone , the mydomain zone?

Or is it something more?

Currently my Primary and secondary hosts are the valueweb servers
ns1/ns2.primarydns.com

And the Ns1.mydomain record is in the mydomain zone on those servers.

I apologise for my ignorance , but the prior dns work I have done always
involved maintaining an already in place nameserver, and my last time
doing anything with DNS was over 6 years ago.

The reason I need to start my own now is that valuweb refuse to create
spf records for my domain(s)

- John