Issue with remote client connections

John MacKenzie john at yourcompsolution.com
Thu Feb 2 12:40:11 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I've tried searching google and newgroups but couldn't find anything
similar to my issue, hopefully someone here can help.

 [root at samsara root]# named -v
BIND 9.2.2-P3

Bind is not responding to requests from external hosts.

IPTABLES has port 53 open, I can connect to the interface port 53 from
local machine with no issues, however a remote client times out.

I can telnet to port 53 from remote client and port appears open.

Bind is listening to both my external IP address and loopback.

When I go from a home pc, anmd nslookup , server <my hostname>

And lookup a record from my own master Zone.

I get request timed out messages.

Don't know if I've supplied enough info, but if not simply tell me what
you need and I'll get it. :)

My current DNS host will not allow the addition of SPF records, hence
the need for my own.

Thank you all very much for your time!
- John MacKenzie