reasonable length of FQDN

Christian Smith csmith.lunchmeat at dyndns.org
Wed Feb 1 12:19:10 UTC 2006

In article <drphne$cog$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Roman Mashak <romez777 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> what may be the reasonable length of fully-quialilfied domain name
> that can be set up in application? I'd wish this length would cover
> possible user desires and at the same time wouldn't violate standard.

255 characters assuming one octet per character.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2181.txt

   The DNS itself places only one restriction on the particular labels
   that can be used to identify resource records.  That one restriction
   relates to the length of the label and the full name.  The length of
   any one label is limited to between 1 and 63 octets.  A full domain
   name is limited to 255 octets (including the separators).

--
Christian Smith
Dynamic Network Services, Inc.