tracking scammers by IP number - OT

Alexander Harvey alexh19740110 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 16:14:58 UTC 2006

Hi Jeff,
This isn't spam: these people follow a standard procedure that involves
building the trust of receiver, sending photos & then love letters (emails I
mean) before finally confessing that the Russian currency is so weak that
they'll need to borrow money for a Tourist Visa & airfare. Unfortunately, a
lot of people actually go as far as sending this money. If it's legal to
send these emails then there's some serious problems with our justice
systems. And apologies to the US subscribers on this list: I'm not
suggesting it's a US phenomenon; it's just that in this particular case the
sender appears to be in the US.

Regarding the other point you made--perhaps someone else can clarify--but my
understanding was that the following line which can't be forged forged:

plain) by smtp111.plus.mail.re2.yahoo.com with SMTP; 28 Dec 2006 14:06:19
-0000

and that 69.143.102.104 was the originating IP number of a server that
passed the mail into Yahoo's system? Admittedly, I don't know a lot about
Yahoo.

Thanks,
Alex