CNAME issue

Greg Chavez greg.chavez at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 16:14:59 UTC 2006

On 12/24/06, heap <heap at fbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to get a "catch-all" CNAME address.
>
> some-subdomain.domain.com [8] CNAME to www.domain.com [9]
>
> whenever someone tries to connect through http to a host like
> klsdjhfkj.domain.com [10] it will be redirected to www.domain.com [11] .. how can I
> achieve this ?

The feature is called "wildcards" .  See RFC 1034, section 4.3.3.

*          IN          CNAME          www.domain.com.

I would have thought that BIND would complain about this (a node with
a CNAME record can have no other RRs) , but I tested it on BIND 9.3.2
and it works.  However, it only works for subdomains that don't
already have explicit RRs in the zone.  I would also search the
BIND-users  archives for "wildcards" to learn about the great
controversy about the merits and dangers of this feature.

--Greg Chavez