How secure is rndc?

Marc Haber mh+bind-users at zugschlus.de
Thu Dec 21 13:48:13 UTC 2006

[This is a repost of an article posted to comp.protocols.dns.bind two
days ago that has not yet appeared on the newsgroup or on the list
which I have subscribed in the mean time.]

Hi,

I am wondering whether it is a problem to run rndc over the Internet
to a remote server. I am usually using ssh to "tunnel" the rndc
request (ssh remotehost rndc foo) but I am wondering whether I'd lose
much security if I'd use rndc -s remotehost foo instead.

Opening tcp/953 for the appropriate hosts is possible.

Greetings
Marc