RBL entries in bind

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Tue Dec 12 05:12:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Arya, Manish Kumar wrote:

> hello,
>
>  can someone tell me what is the syntax for adding
> RBL IPs in bind? (for mail spam blocking)

Well, there are other DNS servers more specifically made for hosting
RBLDNS zones, but the basic format of an RBL zone is the reversed
addresses of a dotted quad, tacked onto a zone, and looked up with A
records.

thus, for a listing of my posting server, prime.gushi.org (72.9.101.130,
to use a real world example)...in the fictional blacklist
"bl.myrbl.com" you would be looking for an A record for
130.101.9.72.bl.rbl.com.

The return codes of most RBLs are specific to THAT RBL.

For example, rfc-ignorant.org will return those listed here:

http://lists.megacity.org/pipermail/rfci-discuss/2002-April/000571.html

The ones for spamhaus:

http://www.spamhaus.org/faq/answers.lasso?section=Spamhaus%20XBL#136

And so on, et cetera

But the general assumption is ANY return is cause for blocking, unless
your software is specifically looking for more specific codes.

Hope this helps,

-Dan

--

"You recreate the stars in the sky with cows?"

-Furrball, March 7 2005, on Katamari Damacy