Changing output of bind

Mon Dec 11 10:54:37 UTC 2006

You're confusing what part of the DNS system actually creates the output
you see on screen.

Named simply returns results, dig formats the output.
Compare it to a database - you query the database, but it is not the
database that formats your results, it's whichever prorgam runs the query.

That's the same as bind - for example, you can query a Bind DNS server
using nslookup on Windows - the data is the same but the output format
is completely different.

You will need to be modifying dig, or writing your own DNS client.
Even if it is only for internal use, if you break the output of bind,
other applications that depend on it will break.

Andy.

--
Andy Shellam
NetServe Support Team

the Mail Network
"an alternative in a standardised world"

p: +44 (0) 121 288 0832/0839
m: +44 (0) 7818 000834