Sanity Check on Enterprise Architecture

Eric Berg eberg at bergbrains.com
Fri Dec 8 16:48:18 UTC 2006

I'm seeking some advice on how to architect a consolidated DNS
infrastructure for my company.

We are moving toward consolidating our DNS infrastructure by
implementing Sauron (OSS DNS mgmt system, CLI + Web) for management, and
by putting a single set of master bind servers in place from which all
other network-specific servers would perform zone transfers to get their
data.

The other option that we're looking at, and that would also serve as an
interim step to the solution in the previous paragraph, is to create
zone configurations for each of our network-specific bind servers on an
individual basis and push them to the servers from a central point.

Among the reasons that we're looking to implement a set of master
servers which would contain all of the DNS information for all hosts in
all of our networks are the following:

    * We are trying to consolidate the management of DNS as much as
      possible.
    * We occasionally connect previously isolated networks and then need
      to make hosts in each network resolvable to one another
    * It cuts down on the amount of back-and-forth (things that can
      break) by doing zone transfers instead of creating jobs to push
      zone files on a daily basis.  It seems to me that once the data is
      in bind, the zone transfer would be the cleanest way to populate
      the other bind servers.

It's a high-level question, but I'm hoping that anyone with experience
managing multiple DNS servers (on the order of 30 or more) with about as
many subdomains can provide some insight into how to think about this
problem as well as any gotchya's we might run into.

Thanks very much.

-Eric.