How to control own domain/zonefile ?

Clenna Lumina savagebeaste at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 17:45:05 UTC 2006

--- Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <el801h$2jsd$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  Clenna Lumina <savagebeaste at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > If I may ask just one more question, how exactly would
> > I set up bind so I can:
> >

> > 1) handle mydomain.com (as I mentioned in my
> >    original post.) I can easily set the
> >    name server entry in my registrars DNS applet.
>
> Configure the mydomain.com zone in your named.conf file.

That's what I can't quite figure out how to do correctly.

(Edit: Ok your example below helps a lot, thank you.)

> > 2) handle local.mydomain.com, as a sub domain of
> >    sorts thats only valid on the local LAN that
> >    my linux server is a part of; only computers
> >    on this LAN are assigned local.mydomain.com.
> >    The dhcpd that comes with linux make it easy
> >    to set that for clients.
> >
> >    IE:
> >       foo.local.mydomain.com => client host 'foo'
> >       bar.local.mydomain.com => client host 'bar'
> >
> >    Also local.mydomain.com is NOT to be
> >    accessible from the internet.. LAN only.
>
> Configure the local.mydomain.com zone in your named.conf
> file, and use
> the "allow-query" option in the zone to restrict access to
> your local
> subnet.

Ok I'm beginning to make some sense, at least the allow-query
part.

(Edit: Ok your example below helps a lot, thank you.)

> > 3) And finally, I want my bind to also foward
> >    outside-destined requests to our ISP's DNS
> >    server(s), that way the clients can use the
> >    Linux's ip for DNS for everything.
>
> Why do you want to do that?  What's wrong with the default
> behavior of
> iterating from the root servers?
>
> But if you really prefer to use your ISP's servers rather
> than iterating
> yourself, use the "forwarders" option.

I wasn't aware it worked like this. Do I understand
corectly that the default behavior is to simply
check all the root servers and transverse down
the line?

Would this mean that, for example, a web site updates
it's IP for it's hostname, I would get this update faster
then if I used my ISP's dns (which can be rather slow
updating... friends of mine always seem to get those
sort of updates quicker on their ISPs.)

> > I also want to be able to keep the mydomain.com zone
> > file seperate from the local.mydomain.com zone file,
> > as the latter is for the LAN only and need not be
> > accessible from the internet.
>
> zone "mydomain.com" {
>   type master;
>   file "db.mydomain.com";
> };
> zone "local.mydomain.com" {
>   type master;
>   file "db.local.mydomain.com";
>   allow-query { 192.168.1.0/24; localhost; };
> };

Thanks you very much. I assume the "file" parts refer
to actual zone files? (I have worked with zone files
before so I have some idea of how to do them, I just
never setup my own name server before now :-) )