How to request rDNS from my ISP?

Steve Cabito cabito at sonic.net
Sat Aug 26 04:56:15 UTC 2006

I recently posted the message below and received a prompt and helpful
response. However, the only info my ISP has given me is the host names
of their name servers. I am told that I am not authoritative for the
reverse.

Should I disregard RFC 2317 and Mark's suggestions and simply remove
in-addr.arpa records from my config?

Is this just a matter of doing things their way?

I had been worried that running a misconfigured name server in their IP
space might cause them problems; it seems not.

What is the minimum information I have to give them, when using one IP
for bind and name-based web hosting? All host names? All domain names?

Thanks,

-Steve

==============================

 > > I have to move some domains and their DNS server from a class C to
a new
 > > /27 block elsewhere. Can someone provide an example of a minimal
 > > (skeleton) named.conf and db.something to help me get bind set up?
 > > Thanks in advance,
 > >
 > > -Steve

	The only real difference is that you don't have a full /24
	assigned to you.  This needs to be handled specially.

	See RFC 2317, Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation.

	Assuming you have been delegated 1.2.3.32/27 and you and
	your ISP decide to use 32-63.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa as the zone
	name your side should look something like this.

	You will have a local copy of the reverse for the /24 your
	address space is delegated from.  This will allow you to
	always have the CNAMEs to map from the well known names to
	the names that actually have the PTR records even when your
	external link is down.  You will also have a zone
	(32-63.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa) with the PTR records.

	Mark

zone "3.2.1.in-addr.arpa" {
	type slave;
	file "slave/3.2.1.in-addr.arpa";
	masters { /* ISP's auth servers here */ };
	notify no;
};

zone "32-63.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;