multiple domains on same ip adresses

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Aug 22 18:42:00 UTC 2006

Easier than that - you can create an aliases file for your main domain:

In named.conf:

zone "foosolutions.com" {
        type master;
        file "foosol-aliases";
        };

(Other options in the zone like which ACL is allowed to do transfers for
your slave servers - model the options on the zone entry for foosol.com
itself.)

Your aliases file, foosol-aliases, goes in the same location as your
zones and would look something like:

@               IN SOA  dns1.foosol.com. postmaster.foosol.com. (
                        2006032501      ; serial
                        10800           ; refresh
                        3600            ; retry
                        604800          ; expire
                        86400 )         ; Minimun TTL
;
; Name Servers
;
                IN NS   dns1.foosol.com.
                IN NS   dns2.foosol.com.
;
; Mail Servers
;
                IN MX   10      smtp.foosol.com.
;
; Addresses
;
localhost       IN A    127.0.0.1
;
@               IN A    xx.xx.xx.xx
;
www             IN A    xx.xx.xx.xx
mail            IN A    xx.xx.xx.xx
;

Where xx.xx.xx.xx would be the relevant IPs.

A lookup for foosolutions.com's MX record would return the one you have
listed here even though it is really pointing to smtp.foosol.com.

Of course you'd have to enable the mail server itself to recognize smtp
records for foosolutions.com.  I know it can be done in Exchange because
we just added one for a new domain.   I assume it can be done in
sendmail on the theory that M$ wouldn't be able to do anything that
opensource doesn't do better.

The reverse lookups however would report the foosol.com domain.

If you really need a reverse that reports the other domain you need to
have a different IP and a different zone file that specifies that IP.
In the new zone I mentioned in the prior paragraph we did exactly that.
My boss didn't want our main domain associated in any way with the new
domain for fear spam blockers would block our main domain due to the
ebills being sent out.  (We use the new domain exclusively for the
ebills.)