MX question

Dawn Connelly dawn at zapata.org
Tue Aug 22 17:04:14 UTC 2006

Hopefully you are reading the forum because it looks like you are in fact having
email problems. DNS isn't your problem. Your email server doesn't know who you
are:
The original message was received at Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:39:02 -0700
from iago [127.0.0.1]

<jim at compton.net>
    (reason: 550 <jim at compton.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
virtual alias table)

... while talking to compton.net.mail1.psmtp.com.:
>>> RCPT To:<jim at compton.net>
<<< 550 <jim at compton.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual
alias table
550 5.1.1 <jim at compton.net>... User unknown

You DNS resolves fine:
# dig compton.net mx

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> compton.net mx
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;compton.net.                   IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
compton.net.            300     IN      MX      200 compton.net.mail2.psmtp.com.
compton.net.            300     IN      MX      300 compton.net.mail3.psmtp.com.
compton.net.            300     IN      MX      400 compton.net.mail4.psmtp.com.
compton.net.            300     IN      MX      100 compton.net.mail1.psmtp.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
compton.net.            172800  IN      NS      ns2.compton.net.
compton.net.            172800  IN      NS      ns1.compton.net.

;; Query time: 118 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Aug 22 09:59:00 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 210