Hosting own domain - newb questions.

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Mon Aug 21 17:01:30 UTC 2006

First, you appear to be misusing the term SIP, which is a voip and
video conferencing TLA.

A name server becomes authoritative for a zone by loading the zone
into memory from some source. Authority is declared unilaterally by
the server. However, nobody will know unless the zone is also
delegated to the server by the parent zone. In this case, your parent
zone is com.au; you have to register your zone with a domain
registrar for com.au, including specifying the name and address of
your name server.

Ignore PTR records for the moment. They have no bearing on the problem.

You should not name your server the same as your zone; doing so,
while valid, leads to confusion and isn't as flexible as using a name
such as 'ns' as your server name (meaning 'ns.gvmp.com.au.' as an FQDN).

I did some checking, and I found the following:

- Your domain is properly registered.
- Your name server is properly registered (assuming its address is
202.172.129.5).
- A query sent to your name server is not answered. This might be a
firewall issue, or it may be that named is not running.
- A query to your offsite slave (ns1.westnet.com.au) is answered with
an error, probably indicating that it can't get your zone from your
server. See previous item.

So, first check whether named is running.

ps ax | grep named | grep -v grep

If there's any output, then named is running.

Next, check the server logs (e.g. /var/log/syslog on Ubuntu, unless
you have either modified /etc/syslog.conf or added a logging
statement to /etc/named.conf or any included files). Is it
complaining about not being able to establish listeners? Is it able
to start a listener on either 202.172.129.5 or a private address for
which you have port 53 mapped (NAT or PAT) from the public address?

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice