Question about a dot in hostname

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sun Aug 20 07:01:26 UTC 2006

> I'm having an issue with the following
>
> Host.name.domain.com where host.name is the hostname of the system
>
> I'm running bind 9.3.2 on debian 3.1, the zone loads and serves up the
> address, but when I do a zone xfer
> The .name is removed and all I get is the "host" part
>
> I've tried doing a cname like this
>
> Host	IN A xx.xx.xx.xx
> Host.name IN CNAME host
>
> But the .name gets stripped from that as well.
>
> What are my options to make this work?
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian

	You are most probably ignoring $ORIGIN changes in the
	transfered zone file.  Named writes out a relative master
	zone file with $ORIGIN changes.

	e.g.
		$ORIGIN zone.
		name A xx.xx.xx.xx
		$ORIGIN name.zone.
		Host CNAME host.zone.

	Mark

--
ISC Training!  October 16-20, 2006, in the San Francisco Bay Area,
covering topics from DNS to DHCP.  Email training at isc.org.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org