DNS Forwarding/Stub zones?

Fr34k freaknetboy at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 21:40:30 UTC 2006

Hello,

Warning: the below may be consider off topic.

Have you considered how you will manage malicious websites/IPs?
Have you checked if anyone else is managing this via DNS?
What about malware that writes/hijacks MS windows hosts files?
Such infected devices will not make DNS queries and, therefore, will bypass
such a configuration.

Perhaps force http/https traffic through a proxy where URLs can be scrubbed for
malicious content?
For example, using Squid (www.squid-cache.net) and it's ACL funtionality such
as:
acl maliciousregex urlpath_regex -i "/path/to/file/which/has/maliciousregex"
http_access deny maliciousregex

Furthermore, I recall reading the ability to config Squid to use a freeware
version of what the websense vendor-ware does. I never tried this, however.

Finally, one could write scripts to run reports on those devices making
requests for malware so it could be acted upon.

My intent was not to get off topic, but to offer another solution to what you
may be ultimately trying to achieve.
I included the list in case someone else may find value in my reply.

HTH