resolver's behavior

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Apr 24 23:38:06 UTC 2006

Barry Margolin wrote:

>In article <e2bg9r$or6$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>

>>I suppose it's possible that "dig" is compiled to use a different
>>resolver library than "ping" is, and the different resolver libraries
>>are looking for resolv.conf files in different locations. That would
>>explain the anomaly/inconsistency. But I don't know enough about running
>>BIND (or components of BIND) on a Wintel platform, to be able to assess
>>whether this is a plausible explanation or not.
>>

>The transcript in the original post looked like Unix, not Windows.
>Where did you get the idea that Wintel is involved?

If you look further down the thread, you'll see that Kirk Bradel had
claimed to have "duplicated the [...] results" on a Wintel platform. I
was responding partly to the original poster and partly to Kirk. It's
possible that this bug/quirk has no platform dependencies at all, but I
always try to disclaim anything and everything that I say that has to do
with BIND on Wintel, since I have zero experience in that regard...

                                                - Kevin