dynamically updated zone and $GENERATE

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 5 23:20:57 UTC 2006

Sten Carlsen wrote:

>I think this depends upon how the $generate statements are interpreted.
>I would believe that they are just a kind of shorthand for writing long
>and systematic sequences.
>So, in short:
>If it works like the cpp C-preprocessor with C, it should be fine to use
>it with dynamic updated zones for providing the basic content.

How do you come to that conclusion? Under Dynamic Update, the individual
updates are committed first to the journal, and only periodically
"dumped" out to the main zone file. In order to preserve $INCLUDEs and
$GENERATEs and whatnot in the midst of that dumping process, named would
have to set up special code paths, data structures, etc. and the effort
hardly seems worth it.

                                                      - Kevin