Trying to "Syncronize" My server with reality.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 5 21:49:40 UTC 2006

Andrew wrote:

>I tried it manually running:
>
>dig @192.5.6.30 $zone where $zone is anything except a .com, .net, or
>.org tld
>
>and it basically just displays a list of root server addresses which to
>me looks like we're not hosting the domain; although obviously I know
>we are.
>
>So, this may or may not directly relate to bind, but it would make my
>life alot easier (and it would make me smarter) if i knew why this was
>happening or if i knew a better way to handle this.

192.5.6.30 is the address of a.gtld-servers.net; I wouldn't really
expect it to respond usefully for anything outside of .com, .net or .org.

What is it that you're trying to accomplish here with this
"synchronization"? If you're just trying refresh your root hints file,
I'm not sure what you're doing querying TLD servers. TLD != root.

                                                   - Kevin