Bind erroring every hour on Win2k3 (Could not listen on UDP socket)

Edward Prendergast edward.prendergast at netring.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 10:28:45 UTC 2006

ISC Bind 9 is already running and functioning properly - this is not me
manually restarting or reloading bind, it's happening automatically every
hour.

Regards,
Edward

Edward wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Bind is erroring periodically creating errors (pasted below) in the
> 42nd minute of every hour. I have searched the web but found no
> reference to this problem. The bind service appears to continue running
> successfully despite these errors. It seems possible that bind could be
> trying to start another instance of itself and being denied access to
> the UDP port.
> This version of Windows 2003 is not running any service packs.
> I expect I have some misconfiguration otherwise more people would be
> experiencing this issue?
>
> The error itself:
>

> Event Type:	Error
> Event Source:	named
> Event Category:	None
> Event ID:	1
> Date:		03/04/2006
> Time:		12:42:39
> User:		N/A
> Computer:	DNSD
> could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied
> ----
> Event Type:	Error
> Event Source:	named
> Event Category:	None
> Event ID:	1
> Date:		03/04/2006
> Time:		12:42:39
> User:		N/A
> Computer:	DNSD
> creating IPv4 interface TCP/IP Interface 2 failed; interface ignored
> ----
> Event Type:	Warning
> Event Source:	named
> Event Category:	None
> Event ID:	2
> Date:		03/04/2006
> Time:		12:42:39
> User:		N/A
> Computer:	DNSD
> not listening on any interfaces
> ----
> Event Type:	Information
> Event Source:	named
> Event Category:	None
> Event ID:	3
> Date:		03/04/2006
> Time:		12:42:39
> User:		N/A
> Computer:	DNSD
> listening on IPv4 interface TCP/IP Interface 2, 192.168.1.3#53
> ----
> Event Type:	Error
> Event Source:	named
> Event Category:	None
> Event ID:	1
> Date:		03/04/2006
> Time:		12:42:39
> User:		N/A
> Computer:	DNSD
> creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface ignored
> ----
> Event Type:	Error
> Event Source:	named
> Event Category:	None
> Event ID:	1
> Date:		03/04/2006
> Time:		12:42:39
> User:		N/A
> Computer:	DNSD
> could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied

Looks like you are already running a DNS on this system, Microsoft's maybe?

Danny

is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance on it, any form of reproduction,
dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or
publication of this E-mail message is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail message in error, please notify
us immediately. Please also destroy and delete the message from your
computer.