Redirect all dns resquet

Peter Albrecht peter.albrecht at novell.com
Fri Sep 30 13:09:24 UTC 2005

On Friday 30 September 2005 14:52, Laurent wrote:
> I think that I badly expressed myself.
> The reason is that I have 3 bind dns server (DNS01, DNS02, DNS03), I would
> like shutdown DNS03, but some client have put the ip address on hard
> software.

Do they only have DNS03 in their list? Or the others as well? In the latter
case, shutting down DNS03 should be no problem (after some delay the clients
will try the next DNS server).

> So if I can redirect all request on DNS03 to a webpage, I will indicate on
> this webpage that the server will be shutdown soon and they must modify
> their configuration.

What about sending an email to those users? If they defined the DNS servers
manually they should know what to do. I don't see any automatic way to
achieve what you are looking for. Especially, what do you do if the request
does not come from a web browser but from any other application? DNS does not
know which kind of application issued the request.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Albrecht, Novell Training Services, peter.albrecht at novell.com