Invalid TLD when setting nameserver.

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Sep 29 14:49:15 UTC 2005

"Duncan" <zer0g2003 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I purchased a domain name from GoDaddy.com, I want set the nameservers to
>point to my primary DNS that I set up, I am using twisted4life as my
>secondary, My primary is successfully transfering zone data to the
>secondary. But when I try to set the nameservers, I get the error message,
>"Nameserver 1 has invalid TLD.", nameserver 1 by the way is the IP of my
>primary that is on my machine. I am running the DNS server on a Windows 2003
>system with no Active Directory installed at the moment. This is all
>experimental at the moment, im new to DNS, can anyone tell me if I am making
>any obvious errors that would cause my promblem?

You have not given us much information.  I did spot one thing in what
you wrote:

     nameserver 1 by the way is the IP of my primary that is on my machine

In DNS NS records point to nodenames, not IP addresses.  If you have
an NS record that points to an IP address, you will have problems.

    @  IN   NS  192.168.1.2

will cause the DNS software to treat the TLD (top-level domain) of the
NS record as "2", and that obviously is not a valid TLD.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov