out-of-business registrar

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 20:05:48 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 2005-September-28 14:13, G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
> I see. Still surely, transferring from a dead registrar to a live
> registrar can't be that difficult? I got the info whilst searching

Probably not, since the whole TLD is under Neustar and they're not dead
(although some people might like it if they were. ;) ) The way the
state subdomains work, if there is no delegated registrar, it falls
back on Neustar.

In fact I would expect that they would have sent the customers of the
dead registrar a notice telling them what to do. If no changes are
needed, they probably don't have to do anything at all.

"dig ci.woodinville.wa.us." shows a bad SOA, and there seem to be
servfail problems with names in the zone:

$ dig ci.woodinville.wa.us.

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> ci.woodinville.wa.us.
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ci.woodinville.wa.us.          IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
ci.woodinville.wa.us.   3594    IN      SOA     nsone.metrokc.gov. samm\@ci.woodinville.wa.us. 2005060901 900 600 86400 3600

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.6.4#53(192.168.6.4)
;; WHEN: Wed Sep 28 14:57:03 2005
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 99

$ host www.ci.woodinville.wa.us.
Host www.ci.woodinville.wa.us not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
$ host mail.ci.woodinville.wa.us.
mail.ci.woodinville.wa.us has address 146.129.248.58
Host mail.ci.woodinville.wa.us not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
Host mail.ci.woodinville.wa.us not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

So perhaps some changes are needed.

> for a way as a foreign entity I could get a .us domain.

I guess you know you can, if you plan to maintain a business or
organisational presence in the USA, or to lie about it. ;)

(No, I'm quite legitimate in this regard. I have more presence in the
USA than I would like, in fact. :) )
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header