syncronizing 2 dns server (windows/linux)

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Sep 27 13:03:16 UTC 2005

Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:
>>And how much did you pay for your copy of BIND?
>

> About 6-8 hours, plus about another 4 total from other people on the
> list (easy).
>
> 10-12 hours, total, to get something that should be as non-customized,
> absolutely stock, as possible.
>
> THAT is the problem.

This is called sweat equity.

> Again, what is the goal for the BIND distribution: To be used as
> easily as possible, or only to be used by people who have time to
> invest in reading and understanding the docs totally, who have the
> time to invest in making customized configs?
>
> Note that choice (b) includes "Well, we'll let paid package builders
> for Redhad, etc, come by after us and make it usable as easily as
> possible".
>
> Seriously, how hard is it to include sample config files in a
> distribution directory? Do you even need the
>
> // Provide a reverse mapping for the loopback address 127.0.0.1
> zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
>     type master;
>     file "localhost.rev";
>     notify no;
> };
>
> segment in a purely "local cache" name server? Can you get by with a
> bare minimum of
>
> options {
>     directory "/etc/namedb";           // Working directory
> };
>
> and NOTHING ELSE?
>
> The point is: BIND 9 is unusable straight out of the box without
> spending a significant amount of time learning what to do next. Are
> you folks really happy with that situation?

We don't expect the average user to install BIND. We expect users to
understand what it is and how it works. The only reason that the Windows
binary exists is that not all Windows users have access to a compiler.
Unix people start with the tarball. You are welcome to do the same.

Danny