need default domain badly

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 26 22:53:19 UTC 2005

BRElliott at gmail.com wrote:

>I work for a company that was forced to move our datacenter in lieue of
>hurricane  Rita.  I know it's not proper but let me get to the point of
>what I need.  I need to temporarly have host queries resolve to a
>domain if it's not specified because (somehow) this used to work
>before.
>
>Example.
>Client queries for host1
> - I need this to hit the dns server and search through my host files.
>So this would resolve to host1.mydomain.com automatically if the domain
>is not specified.
>
>I'm using bind 9.1.3

There's no way to make BIND search /etc/hosts files, short of major
surgery on its code, perhaps to the extent that you couldn't call it
BIND any more.

Why don't you do a one-time load of your /etc/hosts data using h2n or
some similar utility, into 1 or more DNS zones? Then delete h2n and
maintain your data in DNS from that point forward.

By the way, 9.1.3 is really old. You should upgrade.

                                                      - Kevin