Help needed configuring Bind 9

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sat Sep 24 03:31:57 UTC 2005

Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:
> Hello everyone. Years ago, I used Bind 4 a lot, and had no trouble
> getting it to do what I wanted.
>
> Now, I'm using a windows XP system. My ISP has had name server trouble
> tonight, and I decided to get BIND and configure a simple local cache
> to avoid having to requery my ISP for everything.
>
> I cannot figure out how to get BIND to work for a simple cache.
>
> First, I ran the installer. It created an account "named" for bind to
> run as a service. I gave it no password. However, it refuses to start
> up as a server; checking the event log shows that the login fails with
> "bad account or password". I've verified that the account is correct
> (selecting it from the list provided by the "log in" tab in services).
> That only leaves a blank password as a problem, but I can't figure out
> how to change the service's password.

A password is REQUIRED for windows. You need to go to the users accounts
and set a password on the named account. Then you need to get to
services and go to the ISC BIND service and open that and add the same
password to the named account in there. Then you should be able to start
the service. The installer should be updated to prevent empty passwords.

> So next, I try using "bind -f" from the command line. And, my first
> attempt was the simple "caching only" configuration in the manual.
>
> That was
> named.conf:
>
> // Provide a reverse mapping for the loopback address 127.0.0.1
> zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
>      type master;
>      file "localhost.rev";
>      notify no;
> };
>
> as the only config file. It didn't work. (No "localhost.rev"). I added that:
>
> $ORIGIN 0.0.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
> $GENERATE 1-127 $ CNAME $.0
> 1       ptr     localhost

You need an SOA record and an NS record and either the $ORIGIN nor the
$GENERATE records. Technically you don't even need that zone if all you
are doing is caching.

> But that didn't work either.
>
> My current named.conf has:
>
> options {
>         directory "c:\michael-2\dns";
>         query-source address 24.48.217.227 port 53;
> };
>
> zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
>      type master;
>      file "local.rev";
>      notify no;
> };
>
> The "query-source" line specifies my ISP's DNS server, so I have
> something to bootstrap from. I'm specifying the directory where my
> files are located.

That's wrong since that needs to one of the IP addresses of the machine
that the DNS is running on. You don't need it and shouldn't use it the
option unless you are trying to limit things.

> And I'm still getting errors:
>
> could not get query source dispatcher (24.48.217.227#53)
> exiting (due to fatal error)

Right, this address is not on your machine.

> I could not find a "bind" or "named" FAQ over at faqs.org
> There are no sample configuration files supplied in the distribution,
> and the manual doesn't have enough of a config file to get going.

There are plenty available and there's no difference on Windows except
the requirement to include the directory directive in options.

Danny