Query sent, but no response

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sun Sep 25 07:37:13 UTC 2005

> I'm seeing an odd problem on my recursive resolvers that I can't
> quite figure out. Given queries in the sfchron.com zone (say,
> querying for mr1.sfchron.com. A) I am unable to get a response. If I
> log into the resolver host and use "dig" against the authoritative
> servers, I get a response, i.e.
>
> dig @ns1.sfchron.com. mr1.sfchron.com. a
>
> dig @ns2.sfchron.com. mr1.sfchron.com. a

	ns1.sfchron.com and ns2.sfchron.com are running a stupid
	nameserver implementation that returns FORMERR to a plain
	EDNS query but drops a EDNS query with DO set.

	The base DNSSEC spec says to return FORMERR to something you
	don't understand.  It looks like they have been told to return
	FORMERR to EDNS but failed to learn that this to properly.

	dig ns1.sfchron.com @198.134.145.66 +bufsize=512 -> FORMERR

	dig ns1.sfchron.com @198.134.145.66 +dnssec -> NO RESPONSE

	Mark

--