Questions about new Bind installation

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 15:45:54 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 21 September 2005 09:43, Lisa Casey wrote:
> I was unaware that when I installed FreeBSD 5.3 Bind would
> automatically be installed. I figured if I wanted to run Bind I'ld
> need to install it, just as I did for Apache on this box (this box is

An OS install would do what the OS designer[s] made it to do, within
constraints of the options obtained from the user installing. That is
quite obvious, only worthy of mention because your questions so far
have been OS questions, not BIND questions.

I suggest that you become more familiar with your OS. For that matter
regarding Apache, I would expect that most wide-spectrum free Unices
would indeed ship with Apache. My flavour of choice does. If I do not
want it installed, I would tell the installer to skip it.

> every unix box box doesn't
> necessarily need to run DNS, my mail server doesn't, it relies on my
> DNS servers but I suppose this is beside the point.

It is, as for that matter is this entire thread. :) Again to be
cantankerous I'll point out that my mail servers ALL run a local
caching nameserver, which is very important because of the many DNS
queries being made: SMTP client rDNS, forward lookup thereof, HELO/EHLO
name lookup, NS/MX lookups of the foregoing and of the MAIL FROM
domain, and then of course the numerous RBL and RHSBL lookups. A single
incoming SMTP connection could trigger dozens of DNS queries.
Performance and reliability is greatly enhanced by running a local
caching nameserver.

> So are you saying that I now have a FreeBSD box with both Bind 8.4
> and Bind 9 on it and I could choose to run whichever I pleased just
> by changing path statements in my  rc.conf file?

I would not know as I do not use FreeBSD, but from what was said it
would appear to be the case. Beware of $PATH issues. Your BIND 8
binaries in /usr/local/s?bin might come before the BIND 9 ones. You
definitely should remove the BIND 8 install when you decide to upgrade
to BIND 9. It will only get in the way.

And at that we are finally on topic. :)
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header