dns-clustering?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Sep 19 15:40:00 UTC 2005

Please forgive the top-posting, but my laptop is currently dead.

I am not 100% clear as to whether you're talking about caching-only or authoritative services, but either way it is simple enough - if you have the right L3/L4 load-balancing switch hardware.

In the authoritative case, just list the IP addresses of the switches (you want more than one, set up in active/active load-balancing/high-availability mode) as the advertised aurhoritative servers, all the machines behind the switches as authoritative stealth secondaries (their IP addresses are not listed in the NS records), and have them pull all their zone data from a stealth master that is only used for maintaining the data.

You're done.